Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Greetings from New Mexico!

Greetings, Friends!

I am writing to you from 7,600 feet at our family's mountain retreat in New Mexico. I've had a wonderful week so far working on a new book and writing some new songs.

Well, after 3 years on myspace.com, I finally sat down and tried to figure it out--and just in time, since I have a brand new album to tell you about! I've posted 6 songs from the album, which we have titled "Amazing!" You can check them out here:


myspace.com/lawrencejclark


I hope you enjoy listening to them--this was truly a labor of love. Chris Gage at MoonHouse Studio in Austin did a great job producing and engineering the CD, and Jerry Tubb at Terra Nova Mastering did an even better job an the final production than he did with my last CD, New Horizon. Christine Albert contributed with some gorgeous background vocals on "A Beautiful Place," and Bruce Logan and David Carrol did a great job on percussion and acoustic bass. And of course you'll recognize my lovely wife Kristen's perfect harmonies on many of the other tunes!

With four songs written by Kristen, three carefully chosen covers of songs by Van Morrison, Wayne Watson, and Tony Conti, and some new arrangements of some classic gospel and slave era songs--oh yeah, and a couple of my own--this project has received some great reviews so far.

Lucky Boyd of MyTexasMusic.com says:

You can expect heartfelt and sincere music from Lawrence J. Clark every time. Your expectations are again met. This time, LJ rises to the occasion with a spiritual tribute.

Clark has always been able to please with his folk and funny collections, but this disc embarks on a more serious journey for this Houston performer. Passion is emblazoned across each cut as Clark pours himself humbly into each performance. You’ll hear that old fave "Amazing Grace" and appreciate it like never before. Clark approaches each song with purity and grace with just enough playfulness to invoke a smile.

The arrangements are simple and true to the craft, as Clark truly believes each note and expressly performs each lyric. If you are already a spiritual person, this disc will help you in your life’s affirmations through music. If not, what a great place to start.

Lawrence J. Clark defines spiritual folk and wears it deservingly like a soft purple robe. Clark’s servant spirit shines through on this twelve-cut emblem of praise.


And
CdBaby wrote:

Amazing harmonies compliment the South Austin sound on a heartfelt mix of traditional and contemporary gospel favorites and originals
.

By the way, you can get the full CD at either of the above online stores:

MyTexasMusic.com
CdBaby.com

You can also download individual songs or the whole album at Rhapsody.com,

iTunes.com, and many other online retailers.

Many thanks to all who contributed to this project--you know who you are!

That's about all I have to say, so here are the liner notes to tell you the rest:


“Sometimes my life is a little overwhelming, and the thought of tomorrow is just plain scary.” I’m sure many of us have felt this way at some point or other; I certainly have. Life can be full of challenges, disappointments, illnesses and physical injuries, and broken relationships. On the other hand, “sometimes a rough and rocky road can take you to a beautiful place.” The first quotation is from the song “Just for Today,” written by my lovely wife Kristen, and when she first played me the song, I knew that it perfectly expressed not only my worst fears, but also hope for the future. The chorus states: “that’s when I remember to take it one day at a time, to open my eyes and count my every blessing/I will open my mind and listen for your plan for me/I will lean on your strength and the grace by which you’ve blessed me/I will ask you to walk with me and know when to ask to be carried.” As a typical head-strong male with a lot of Irish blood, this was a difficult concept for me to accept. What? Accept someone else’s help? Never--I can do it on my own! But the rugged individualist of American literary lore was, as I discovered, a myth, and my world came crashing down around me through several events such as divorce, a head-on collision, the untimely death of a close friend and partner, and the slow downward spiral of depression. Thankfully, though, as the second quotation (from “A Beautiful Place” by Wayne Watson) sums up, “sometimes a rough and rocky road can take you to a beautiful place.” It is said that we often have to “hit bottom” before beginning the slow climb back to the top. If you’ve ever been there, you understand what I mean. Today, through the grace of our “amazing” God, the love of a beautiful and talented woman, the gift of three incredible children, and the often undeserved but gratefully accepted support of friends and family, I experience a life of joy and contentment that I never could have imagined. Each song on this CD has been carefully written or chosen, and has a special place in my life; I pray that the music and the words will uplift, entertain, comfort, and encourage you in your own spiritual journey.


Peace and Blessings to all!

Lawrence

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home